Saturday, June 23, 2012

Education and IBS

These letters may be confusing to you if you're not up on the Campus Crusade for Christ lingo. :) Starting this past Monday, I am taking 4 weeks of seminary courses with the Institute of Biblical Studies (IBS) by Cru.

Eliza graduating Monroe College
Last month, my sister graduated from Monroe College with her Culinary Certification as a pastry chef one week after my father graduated from New York School of the Bible with his advanced education certificate in Biblical Studies! :) Even Gia, my 5 year old niece, is ready to read and will start in an advanced Kindergarten class this Fall! So proud of my family seeking to be good stewards of the time, money and skills God has given them.


My 5 yr old niece, Gia, READS!
One way I'm trying to do the same thing this summer is through IBS. Experienced full-time staff and professors from other seminaries around the United States put together various courses that Christians going into full-time ministry typically study and create them as a two week summer class for the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ around the world! - IBS. Next week I will be finishing my first two courses in Biblical Interpretation and Old Testament Survey.
Dad graduating from NYSB with Liberty U.


So far I've really enjoyed them both. Biblical interpretation is something I've learned growing up in a Reformed Baptist Church and with a father who loves "choppin' up" the scriptures. Although it's something I have a heavy background in, it's great to receive organized instruction and learn specific methods of how to best dissect the Word of God. It's also really encouraging to learn the terms to describe the scripture within it's historical, narrative and redemptive context.

Growing up in a Reformed Baptist Church, I knew the importance of properly dividing the Word and so I was slightly intimidated when I found out my professor for "Old Testament Survey" would be Dr. Futato from Reformed Theological Seminary. His lectures are wonderfully detailed and designed for hearers of all backgrounds but I KNOW his exam will NOT be easy. He is a God-fearing man, excited about the knowledge of the scriptures as it pertains to our living to glorify God; he reminds me a lot of my father. I just hope and pray to be able to retain the massive text we have to read and his daily 3 hour lectures! : /

Please continue to pray for me as I study to discern God's Word properly and return with greater ammunition for the spiritual battles on campus in NJ. Please also pray for me to finish raising the support I need to pay for these courses, dorm-life and meal plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment