Friday, July 15, 2016

A Call to Humility


I've heard a lot of opinions from all perspectives on
#BlackLivesMatter (with which I agree),#BlueLivesMatter (with which I agree), and#AllLivesMatter (with which I also agree). I also believe that it's important to grieve with those who grieve and not respond to #BlackLivesMatter with something that could sound like you really mean "people die everyday, so move on"When we mourn with our Black peers over the loss of someone they relate to, it shows the love of God. 

Here's an attempt at a similar example for believers in Jesus. I once told a friend who isn't a Christian about how grieved I was over the loss of Christians in persecuted countries.Her response was "Those countries don't want the Christian faith, those people should've known better. I'm not saying they deserve to die but if they must've done something wrong. And all Muslims aren't murders. After all, Christians used to kill a whole lot more for a long time. Look at the Crusades." Was my friend right? In some aspects. Was she wrong? In some aspects. Was she a friend? Not in that moment. In that very moment, I sympathized with people who I could relate to and she simply explained why I shouldn't grieve.

I share this to remind myself and to charge us as believers to rise! Rise above our "right to be heard" or our "right to communicate all the facts as we see them." We have all sinned. We have all been hurt by sin. We have all been separated from God as a result and have experienced the excruciating pains of sin. And we all deserve death as a result... but that word means spiritual separation from God. God came to rescue all that would believe through the sacrifice He made of His "right to equality with God" (Philippians 2:6) to be hung on a tree. He has been hung. He suffered. He gave up His rights (Philippians 3) - it happened.

As an ethnic minority, I want to SCREAM for equal rights and corrected systems. As a light-skinned person, I want to SHOUT that I'm not racist and my life matters too. But the reality is that none of those claims help me grieve with my neighbor or love my friend. We can defend the truths behind both of these statements, but how ought we respond? PastorMartin Luther King Jr said All this is simply to say that all life is interrelated. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality; tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. As long as there is poverty in this world, no man can be totally rich even if he has a billion dollars... Strangely enough, I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be.”

Don't take me at an extreme here. I think it's important to have safe people in our lives with whom we communicate every feeling and thought, but I also think we need to consider how to apply Philippians 2:1-11 to our speech and our actions.
 "So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy bybeing of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mindDo nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
We ought not decide to behave this way because it is politically in our favor or because social media says it's right. We ought to behave differently from the world, no matter what our view, because in our love for one another, God will be made famous!
How can you love someone today who you feel has caused you pain?
  • With silence? (not fighting against someone else's belief just because you disagree)
  • With a voice? (standing in the gap of understanding that when you're for something, it doesn't mean you're against something else)
  • With a gesture? (listening is a gesture not often practiced and smiling is still acceptable in most societies - even New York City! :)
  • With a question and willingness to learn? (how can I pray for you today?)
Differing on an opinion doesn't mean someone is wrong. Being different allows for Christians to bring even MORE glory to God by showing that we are ONE in the love of Christ despite our differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment